Teacher Assistant at Bezos Academy
As a Teacher Assistant for Bezos Academy, you share our passion for early-childhood education, the Montessori method, and draw your energy from working in a child-initiated learning process. Your responsibilities will include assisting teachers in developing and implementing a program of activities that promote the cognitive, language, emotional, social, and physical development of each child. Drawing on your previous experience working with young children, you will support lead classroom teachers in the first high-quality, full-scholarship Montessori-inspired program in our growing network of preschools in underserved communities. As a full-time, non-exempt, hourly employee, you are eligible for full benefits (paid time-off, health/dental/vision coverage, etc.) and may earn $17-25 per hour depending on qualifications and experience.
Des Moines, Washington
- Experience working with children ages 3-5
- Washington Early Childhood Education Initial Certificate or equivalent (Child Development Associate or 12 aligned credit hours) OR willingness to acquire this certification immediately upon hire
- Ability to meet Washington state requirements for teacher assistants prior to start date, including passing background checks and requisite trainings
- Age 18 with high school diploma or GED
- Experience working across lines of difference and strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
- Two or more years of experience as a teacher assistant in a preschool
- Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education or two years of post-secondary coursework in Early Childhood Education that meet Washington State Core Competencies for Early Care and Educational Professionals
- Work cohesively with the teachers’ plans, prepare, and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active Montessori learning experiences
- Assist in guiding every child through self-directed activities, allowing them to develop at his or her own pace
- Along with the teachers, foster a nurturing, safe, and stimulating, non-competitive environment
- Assist teachers in maintaining records on each child’s progress and development
- Responsible for assisting teachers with the full implementation of Day 1 Academies performance standards, policies and procedures, regulations and guidelines in the day-to-day operation of the classroom
- Maintain a well-organized, safe and attractive classroom environment conducive to the optimal growth and development of children
- Develop a positive relationship with each child and promote the development of self-esteem and self-discipline
- Participate in team meetings, center activities, and staff development
- Organize materials and clean the workspace to facilitating the learning process for each child
- Observe each child daily to assess skills, interests, and needs and use this information to facilitate learning and growth
- Establish a positive relationship with each child’s family and share information about the child’s day at the preschool
- Assist teachers in conducting staff/family conferences
Bezos Academy participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with employee Form I-9 Information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. Bezos Academy only uses E-Verify once a candidate has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9. If E-Verify cannot confirm that an employee is authorized to work, Bezos Academy will give the employee written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so the employee can begin to resolve the issue before any adverse employment action is taken. For more information about your right to work, please see the Notice of Right to Work.
To apply for this job please visit www.bezosdayonefund.org.